Twitter is not responding to BeTwittered.com again. 48

My Apologies. If it is something I can fix, I will. My guess is that BeTwittered has been blacklisted again for making too many requests of the Twitter servers. I’ve not yet gotten a response as to whether this is the case or not.

Update (2:24pm pacific time) : The problem should be fixed, but take some time to propagate on the Twitter servers.  If you want to see more detail, and my comments (which get a bit bi-polar, I might add) please click the comments link below.  I’ve had a rough day, and I’m going silent! unless things don’t get better as expected.

UPDATE (3:53pm Pacific time)  I let Alex at twitter know that we’re still not back online.  It should have been OK by now.   He’s going to nudge yandex bum

the ops team to get the to check it out.  BeTwittered *will* be back online, it’s just a matter of time now.  Hopefully not long.  I am out of town and not at a computer often, though I will check in regularly.

UPDATE: ((ra-2/2/2009 8:23 AM)  We’re still down, but I have continued to keep in contact with the Twitter team.  BeTwittered should be back soon.  I’m sorry to say I can’t say exactly when, but the operations team was apparently very busy working hard due to expected superbowl traffic.  Hopefully they’ll get to opening the gates for BeTwittered this morning. I also want to say I appreciate the supportive comments, especially since this is the second time BeTwittered was “banned”  recently.  Thank you all!  It shouldnt be long now.

Thanks,
Robert

48 thoughts on “Twitter is not responding to BeTwittered.com again.

1. Reply Zaskoda Jan 30, 2009 2:39 pm

*crosses fingers*

I can’t imagine why you haven’t found more support from those guys.

2. Reply ZenMonkey Jan 30, 2009 2:42 pm

Thanks for keeping us updated. BeTwittered makes my iGoogle very happy and like Zaskoda, I wish Twitter didn’t make it so difficult for you.

3. Reply robert Jan 30, 2009 2:48 pm

Crossing my fingers too. Thanks.

I have a feeling that Twitter (as a company) is looking at the betwittered.com server and it’s load as a burden they are bearing rather than 30-40 thousand individual customers. Normally a client (like Twhirl or TweetDeck) is making requests from all over the world. BeTwittered aggregates all of the client requests (being a web app) and could appear to be a single client just scraping data. I’m working with them now to find out if this is the case. If so, and if they don’t then open the doors back up, it will likely be the end of BeTwittered, at least for a while. Sad day for me. Blah. Sorry all, I’m not sure what the outcome will be.
    Robert

4. Reply Tink *~*~* Jan 30, 2009 3:33 pm

Nooooooooo! I love BeTwittered. I do wish I could use it on my mobile phone (Nokia E71), and I was going to write and ask you if you’d expand into Symbian. But now it’s sounding like you can’t get no satisfaction from Twitter, and that’s a shame. I hope this isn’t the case, because I enjoy using BeTwittered so much.

Tink *~*~*

5. Reply Charlene Jan 30, 2009 3:38 pm

If Twitter gives you a hard time, just let us know where we need to direct a complaint. :-)

6. Reply SisterMorphine Jan 30, 2009 3:41 pm

That does indeed bite the big one. I can’t find any other iGoogle widgit that comes close to BeTwittered and, for the information of anyone at Twitter, probably wouldn’t tweet nearly as much without it.

7. Reply robert Jan 30, 2009 3:42 pm

OK. I may have been right about the view Twitter had. I spent a bit of time to explain that BeTwittered is not pulling data for it’s own purposes, but as an aggregation of thousands of Twitter customers. There was a ban, and it has already been lifted. Alex Payne was quick to help once I explained things. The lifting of the ban should propagate soon. :) I feel better now.

8. Reply robert Jan 30, 2009 3:50 pm

BTW, I missed the supportive comments from SisterMorphine, Charlene and Tink because I hadn’t refreshed the page. Thanks! Hopefully this was just a bump in the road, and now that I’ve been a little more careful to describe BeTwittered to Alex, all will be well…
    Thanks! Robert

9. Reply robert Jan 30, 2009 3:53 pm

and another BTW comment: Sorry if I was overly dramatic at all! I’m having a rough day already and tried to keep my emotions in check, but I suck at that.

Robert

10. Reply Jaspenelle Stewart Jan 30, 2009 5:18 pm

I never commented before because, to be honest, I don’t understand a word of all the technical stuff you talk about, but I just wanted to say I LOVE Betwittered. I hope this whole problem with twitter works out because it is the most used item in my igoogle.

11. Reply Paulo Cholla Jan 30, 2009 7:37 pm

crossingg my fingers from brazil too!!
    i love BeTwittered!! when the tweets do not show up, i feel like me iGoogle is empty, something is missing!

hope twitter help you guys more, so that BeTwittered can always be improved!
    ;)

12. Reply Feline Jan 31, 2009 4:33 am

Fingers crossed, too. And I echo Charlene. If there is an email address or web contact we can use to voice our displeasure with the blacklisting, please let us know.

I would think that the thousands of us using Betwittered would equate to a higher load if we were manually accessing and refreshing our Twitter pages in a browser. If that’s the case, it’s in their best interest to let us use Betweittered.

Besides, my iGoogle page isn’t the same without it. :)

13. Reply A Dallas Diva Jan 31, 2009 5:57 am

Hi,

Just sent a help request to Twitter explaining my distress that they Be Twittered isn’t working. I told them I probably wouldn’t use Twitter at all if it weren’t on my igoogle page.

Hope they listen.

14. Reply shira0524 Jan 31, 2009 6:35 am

I just did the same. Maybe if they get some requests from people actually using the gadget they’ll do something faster. So annoyed. I hope they work it out soon. I love BeTwittered.

15. Reply K. Pirate Jan 31, 2009 8:09 am

I also wrote to Twitter expressing support for BeTwittered. It’s one of the most-used gadgets on my iGoogle!

16. Reply Dante Jan 31, 2009 12:52 pm

It still isn’t working for me.

17. Reply Moose Jan 31, 2009 1:00 pm

Still not working here in Canada at 4pm est.
    hope they see the light soon

18. Reply pomomama Jan 31, 2009 3:18 pm

i’m missing my BeTwittered and am sorry you’re going thru sh*t again for us users

attention twitter dot com – stop mucking around!

19. Reply robert Jan 31, 2009 3:59 pm

Thanks eveyone, for hanging in there, and sending messages of support to twitter. Alex Payne is on our side, and looking into the delay. We should be back up and running soon!

Thanks,
    Robert

20. Reply rdw-socal Feb 1, 2009 11:21 am

I am not sure if the problem was rectified for most, but I still continue to get the error messages of Twitter blocking BeTwittered. I have tried to refresh both BeTwittered and my iGoogle to no avail. I know it is still a work in progress – a great one at that – and am patiently awaiting Twitter to get off their duffs and support the thousands of Twitter users that just happen to use BeTwittered as their operating client.

Keep up the great work Robert. By the number of posts, you are doing a great service to the many BeTwittered users – including myself!!

21. Reply K. Pirate Feb 1, 2009 11:36 am

14:35 eastern time, and it’s still blocked here. *sigh, wait* :)

22. Reply Frank Feb 1, 2009 1:11 pm

Thanks so much for your efforts to get BeTwittered back online! As a new user, I echo everyone else’s support.

23. Reply safas Feb 1, 2009 6:18 pm

As of 7:19 PM Sunday Feb1, 2009 betwitter is still not accessing twitter. Any luck with getting this back up agaain?

24. Reply Brian Feb 1, 2009 6:47 pm

Hi Robert,
    Thanks for your continued hard work to get BeTwittered online. I really enjoy having your widget in my iGoogle homepage, and things just aren’t the same without it functioning as normal.

Its too bad Twitter can’t do more to help you out; I feel their application has little value to me if I have to always visit the actual twitter.com to update things (instead of my igoogle homepage).

Thanks again for all your efforts!
    ~Brian

25. Reply Kara Feb 1, 2009 6:59 pm

Thanks for the work so far, Robert. I know what it’s like staying up with tech issues *and* dealing with the times when everything is in someone else’s hands. iGoogle just ain’t the same without it … I think we all appreciate you keeping up with it like this. Take it easy, man … we appreciate all the work you do.

26. Reply Uwe Feb 1, 2009 10:13 pm

So if this app is getting blocked every two weeks, I assume that the design/architecture has a big flaw for developing it in such a way.

Since other clients do seems to not be blocked regularily, it seems to be possible to design around the limitation that is constantly being hit by BeTwittered.

27. Reply littledupont Feb 2, 2009 6:23 am

Thanks for keeping us updated!

28. Reply Darren Swartzendruber Feb 2, 2009 7:06 am

@Uwe, I believe the issue is that the BeTwittered applet uses a central server to proxy our Twitter posts/requests. The applet does not communicate directly to Twitter like the desktop Twitter applications do. The JavaScript-based applets we run in iGoogle are meant to light-weight and, therefore, will not have all the code necessary to act like a standalone Twitter client. Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe that are ANY iGoogle applets that are full-blown clients … at least the ones I use aren’t.

Now FireFox add-ons are different. Twitbin is a Twitter client that communicates directly with Twitter. My only problem with Twitbin is that I cannot get it to work most of the time.

The functionality, easy-of-use and the fact that I don’t have to install any add-on or client software is why I use BeTwittered. It is one of my favorite iGoogle applets. Great job Robert!!

29. Reply Spiky Sandy Feb 2, 2009 7:44 am

Darren, I use TwitterFox, a FireFox add-on, and I like it.

30. Reply Helier Feb 2, 2009 7:55 am

I’ve posted a query on Twitter’s customer service page: http://getsatisfaction.com/twitter/topics/why_is_betwittered_being_blocked_by_twitter

Anyone else want to vent their frustration too and see if we can persuade Twitter that this is worth their attention?

Helier

31. Reply Meg Feb 2, 2009 7:56 am

Any further updates, Robert?

(I’m hitting F5 on my iGoogle like a mad OCD thing…)

Thanks for all your efforts to get BeTwittered back up and running again; it’s my only option here at work in dealing with the iron fist of IT.

32. Reply robert Feb 2, 2009 8:19 am

@Darren – You nailed that description. Thanks for clarifying (I’m on a mini getaway with my family so haven’t kept up with everyones comments and questions) BeTwittered is aggregating everyones traffic, so the folks at Twitter thought I was really beating at their door. I’ve explained, and they understand, that we’re a large group of people making Twitter posts and request through betwittered.com, now.

@EVERYONE! Thanks for the comments and support. This being the 2nd time BeTwitterd got blocked, I really appreciate the continued support.

BeTwittered should come back on line soon. I wish I could say when, but it shouldn’t be long.

Thanks,
    Robert

33. Reply Zaskoda Feb 2, 2009 8:32 am

Still dead in the water this morning. =(

34. Reply Darren Swartzendruber Feb 2, 2009 9:01 am

@Spiky Sandy, thanks … TwitterFox … I am liking ….

35. Reply Sisterlisa Feb 2, 2009 10:08 am

I had something happen that you may be interested in knowing. I have the Twitter on my Firefox browser toolbar. But I do not have anything Twitter related on my EI7 browser. Yet at my home, on all our computers we cannot get to the Twitter page. Our browsers all say that the web cannot find Twitter.com No matter what Twitter page I try, even their blog. I reported it to Firefox, but I can’t report anything to Twitter since I can’t get into their page.

36. Reply Emma Feb 3, 2009 12:55 am

Robert -
    It’s a great service – one I love; just keeping my fingers crossed that it will be back up & running again soon. :)

37. Reply lindawadman Feb 3, 2009 4:33 am

I’m anxiously awaiting BeTwittered’s return. Thanks for responding after Christmas to the problem I mentioned on Twitter. I didn’t see your message until much embarrassingly later, but yes, the tinkering you did fixed my problem and returned my access to Twitter via BeTwittered. That’s good customer response which is what Twitter should be giving you. Since Minnesota libraries are beginning a new program introducing Web2.0 applications and Twitter and its associated applets like BeTwittered are part of the program, I hope this is resolved soon so they can all try BeTwittered and see why its such a great way to Twitter.

38. Reply Fons Feb 3, 2009 6:43 am

I love betwittered and I feel crippled now that it’s down :-)

I hope the Twitter people will help you soon.

Keep up the good work (and the courage) :-)

39. Reply shira0524 Feb 3, 2009 10:31 am

Yay! Yay! We’re back! :D

40. Reply mark marshall Feb 3, 2009 10:35 am

HEY!!!!!

BT just REFRESHED!!!!!

YEEEE-EFFING-HA!

M.

41. Reply Meg Feb 3, 2009 10:44 am

Hallelujah! And thanks.

42. Reply Steve Feb 3, 2009 1:35 pm

BeTwittered is working again for me. Thought I should let you know. This is a great service, its good to see it back. Thanks

43. Reply robert Feb 3, 2009 1:50 pm

Thanks everyone. :-D Yay! It’s back!

44. Reply Mark Adams Aug 7, 2009 6:41 am

BeTwittered not working 8/7/09 since Twitter was down yesterday.

45. Reply LCD Fernseher günstig Oct 24, 2010 8:09 pm

Hi this site of your blog was very helpful for me. But it was difficult to find it with google. Maybe you should improve it with seo plugins for wordpress like WP seo. Just a tip ;)